Lyndsay's Crockpot Quinoa Chili
Thank you Lyndsay for another nutritious and tasty recipe!
Something about cooler temps has me reaching for crockpot recipes. I love the idea of adding everything in the morning and having a yummy, nutritious meal ready in time for dinner. And, you get to enjoy the aroma all day long. What could be better? This chili is wonderful as leftovers too! The sweet potatoes and quinoa really bulk up this soup, so meat-lovers won’t miss the meat, promise!
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced (I love to leave the skin on for extra nutrients just make sure to wash!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans (I’ve also used the three-bean blend - black, pinto, and kidney)
- 1 28 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups veggie broth (Have you ever used bouillon paste?? It’s a game-changer!!)
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 TBS tomato paste (I prefer to buy in a tube or jar - that way you can keep the leftovers easier.)
- 1.5 TBS chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
All ingredients go into your slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours (the smaller you chop your veggies, the shorter the time it takes). Then, turn to low to cook until ready. You can also prepare this on the stove using half the veggie broth. Serve with avocado or cashew cream on top (my husband also likes to top with shredded cheese). When I’m feeling festive, I add some round tortilla chips tucked around the perimeter of the bowl to use as dippers.
This chili recipe is foolproof. I sometimes add frozen/canned corn, zucchini/squash, or chopped mushrooms. If adding more veggies, you may want to add a little more of the spices as well as the veggie broth.
Recipe adapted from simplyquinoa.com