Frequently asked questions
What are the accommodations like?
Prana Del Mar has luxurious guest rooms and suites overlooking the ocean.
Single Occupancy will typically be placed downstairs with a king bed, an additional seating area, and an ensuite bath.
Double Occupancy will usually be placed in an upstairs suite that has two queen beds, private bath, and living room.
For photo's please explore:
How do I know this residential training is for me?
This training is for you if:
You have a deep gnawing feeling that you need to know more about yoga!
This training is not for you if:
You simply want to add a 200-hour certificate to your resume with minimal commitment.
I don’t wish to become a teacher, is this course appropriate?
Yes! This course is equally empowering for advancing students or aspiring teachers. Practice teaching is a key component of the course and this benefits all students equally. Your practice teaching will begin simply and progress along with the course content. You’ll receive helpful and encouraging feedback all the way. This experience is a way for you to personally assess how much you are learning about the Yoga practice.
We believe you’ll be nicely surprised by your personal growth. Many people are anxious about public speaking or striking a conversation with strangers. This course will help you become a natural and confident communicator.
I have an injury can I still take this course?
Everyone is encouraged to apply for the course and fully disclose injuries and health concerns.
Caroline has a deep understanding of the body, an expertise gained through anatomy study, numerous certificate programs, and many years practice as a Yoga Teacher, Orthopedic Massage Therapist, and Pilates Instructor. She truly embraces the philosophy that diversity benefits all, and rarely is there a body without some area that would benefit from extra care. Upon acceptance to the training, the injury will be carefully accommodated.
What's not included in the price?
- Your airfare to Los Cabos Airport (SJD)
- Required travel insurance (in the unlikely event you get sick or can’t attend the course).
- Required Books, journals and writing material.*
- Optional excursions (such as surf lessons, kayaking and snorkeling, visits to local towns).
- Spa treatments
- Alcoholic beverages and personal purchases
*NOTE: Upon acceptance and payment of your deposit you will receive a welcome letter.
When we receive your full payment, we’ll send the required/recommended reading list, along with some preparatory exercises and journaling to get you started!
What do I need to consider before applying for this course?
We are looking for a diverse group with:
- A minimum of 12 months of regular Yoga practice
- A willingness to learn how to give and receive compassionate feedback
- A desire to grow through active learning and discussion
- An appreciation of details and high standards of Yoga
- A keenness to explore living a yogic lifestyle
- A variety of body types - diversity is a blessing!
What subjects will the course cover?
- Principles of Hatha and Vinyasa Yoga
- Principles of Restorative Yoga
- Practical anatomy and healthy alignment
- Benefits of Yoga
- Skilled use of props and modifications
- Effective and safe adjustments
- Foundations of Pre & Postnatal Yoga
- The art of sequencing and lesson planning
- Skilful communication
- Practice teaching with helpful feedback
- History of yoga
- Study of the Yoga Sutras and Bhagavad Gita
- Yoga philosophy in everyday life
- Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha and Meditation
- Role and ethics of a Yoga Teacher
- The Business of Yoga
What is the training schedule?
Below is an outline of each day. The first and last day are modified schedules and you will have two full days off. The curiculum is paced to ensure you absorb the teaches and develop a sustainable life long practice.
- 6am - led gentle asana, pranayama and meditation
- 7am - Coffee, tea, fruit and snacks
- 7:30 - 10am - asana practice with analysis of alignment, modifications, effective cues, benefits and contra-indications etc.
- 10am - Breakfast
FREE TIME/PROJECT TIME
- 1:30pm - lunch
- 2:30 - 6:30pm - Studies (i.e applied anatomy, practice teaching, philosophical discussions etc)
- 6:30pm - dinner
- 7:30pm Kirtan
What does the tuition include?
- All daily classes, six days a week (one day off per week).
- Course manual and Certificate of Completion at end of course curriculum.
- Weekly laundry service.
- Luxurious single or double rooms from June 29 through July 24, 2019, all with polished travertine floors, pillow‐top mattresses with 300 thread‐count organic sheets, custom‐crafted teak and rattan furniture, and private travertine bathrooms with organic bath towels. All rooms have views of the ocean and the gardens, as well as chaise lounges on your personal terrace overlooking the beach.
- Three meals per day of fresh, delicious, healthful and often organic cuisine prepared by chefs on-site. Enjoy fine Mexican and international recipes using the freshest ingredients, including numerous vegetables, lettuces, and herbs from the organic garden. After dinner, retire to the couches around the fireplace for a digestif to end your day. Tea, coffee, and water all day.
- Access to the lovely grounds, pool, hot tub, sauna, and gardens at the environmentally-friendly Prana Del Mar Retreat Center; nap in the hammocks, take a meditative stroll through the labyrinth, journal in the library, read by the pool, or relax up on the roof deck lounge.
- All ground transportation between the San Jose del Cabo airport (SJD) and the retreat center on first and last day of retreat (June 29 — arrive by 4pm; July 24 — depart by 12pm) , which is a 45-minute drive from airport to retreat center. If you arrive or depart on any other days you will need to arrange your own transportation.
I don’t know anyone taking this course, will I fit in?
We feel sure that you’ll feel right at home! Many people join teacher trainings not knowing anyone, these programs bring together like minded people. In a recent training of Caroline’s, a student enthusiastically announced, ‘I’ve found my tribe!’
Is the training in a safe place?
Yes! Baja is a popular travel destination and for good reason, it’s beautiful and safe. You will see on the retreat center’s website that their location is beside the ocean in a quiet and gated community. (See the answer to How do I get to the training? for reassuring information.)
On your free days you might choose to visit Todos Santos or other locations listed on the excursion options. These are all places that are regularly enjoyed by international travelers. The locals are very friendly and typically want you to enjoy your time in Mexico. As with any travel destination, at home or overseas, it is wise to aim to blend in as much as possible by dressing modestly. Leaving expensive accessories at home is advisable.
Tell me more about the retreat location!
Caroline fell in love with Prana Del Mar while leading a retreat there and knew instantly that it would be the ideal location for a teacher training. The luxurious accommodations, beautiful Yoga rooms, delicious food and unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean stole her heart. Between Yoga sessions, it’s delightful to walk barefoot on the beach, enjoy the whales cruising by, and experience the sunsets each evening.
Please take a look at Prana Del Mar’s website and see for yourself!
How do I get to the training?
On June 29th a shuttle from SJD airport will be organized to pick you up. The timing of pick-up will coincide with other students arriving at times close to you.
In front of the airport there are safe, comfortable outside areas to sit and grab refreshments if you have to wait for your ride. The drivers work with Prana Del Mar year-round and are very professional and friendly, so you’ll be in great hands. Clear instructions will be given to you close to the time of travel.
What is the Refund/Cancelation Policy?
Please be very sure that the dates and schedule work for you before sending payment.
The $750 deposit to hold your space is non-refundable.
Should you need to cancel your participation in the training, tuition balance (less the $750 deposit) is refundable up until February 24, 2019. After February 24, 2019 tuition balance is non refundable nor transferable.
How do I register once I’m accepted?
- Upon acceptance you will receive a welcome letter and link to pay your $750 deposit.
- Your place is secure once you make payment.
- Full payment is due on March 30th (to secure Early Bird Price)
- If you’re making your final payment or registering after March 30th the total price is $4490 for Double Occupancy and $5995 for Single Occupancy.
Do you have scholarships available?
At this time we do not have scholarship funds available.
- We empathize with your situation so here are some helpful ideas and perspectives:
- Past graduates have created successful GoFundMe campaigns.
- Students in the past adjusted their monthly spending or sold things to save for the course.
- Upon graduation you will be qualified to earn money teaching yoga.
- By taking this course you are investing in your personal growth and well-being. The benefits will last far beyond the duration of the course.
Is there anything else I should know?
Caroline and her assistant are committed to gathering an incredible group of Yoga enthusiasts. We look for diversity in experience, knowledge, backgrounds, and interests, and all are encouraged to apply. Please share openly on your application!
- Applications will be reviewed and letters sent out within two weeks of receipt. Once you are accepted, we will send you a link to pay and secure your place.
- Upon acceptance into the program, a $750 non-refundable deposit will be required to hold your space until the ‘pay in full’ due date of March 30th. The $750 non-refundable deposit will be applied towards the full tuition.
- After receiving your full tuition payment, Become Centered will send you the required/recommended reading list, along with some preparatory exercises and journaling to get you started.
- Applications received after the course is filled will be placed on a waiting list.
When will I receive my Teacher Certificate?
Your 200-hour Yoga Teacher certificate will be given upon completion of all course work on the final day of the training.
Please note that graduation requires completion of all practical, written, and reading homework along with full participation in the course curriculum.
The course content will empower first-time attendees to expand their practice and become a confident teacher. If you have already graduated from a 200-hour program, please apply! Continuing education offers a wealth of potential.
What do I bring with me?
- Copy of your travel insurance.
- Yoga Clothes (the Yoga studio is fully equipped with mats and props).
- Long Pants.
- Bathing Suit.
- Windbreaker, fleece, shawl, or sarong.
- Flat sandals.
- Sturdy shoes.
- Sun Hat.
- Lip balm.
- Day pack.
- All required course books (list will be emailed to you).
- Personal Journal and note paper.
- Writing materials.
- Insect repellent (most of the year there is little issues with bugs…just after rainfall)
- Hair dryer if needed.
- Computer is optional. You will be encouraged to live in the moment, therefore minimal internet time is highly promoted!
*Weekly laundry service in included in the price.
** Hair Dryer Awareness. The retreat center is entirely solar-powered, we ask that you are mindful of your usage and only blow dry your hair during daylight hours so as not to tax the battery storage systems. Either that – or perhaps go a little wild…..Caroline will join you!
How much does this 4-week Yoga teacher training cost?
The first step is to apply and upon acception a $750 deposit will secure your place.
Double Occupancy Accommodation:
**Next person to register will receive $300 off the full price!**
Full Price = $4490
Single Occupancy Accommodation:
** One Space Open**
Early Bird (Pay full tuition before March 30th) = $5785
After March 30th = $5995
All payments are non-refundable. Thank you for your understanding.
Complete payment is due on March 30, 2019 or before.
Registration after March 30th requires full payment.
Upon receiving your full tuition payment, Become Centered will send you the required-and-recommended reading list, along with some preparatory exercises and journaling to get you started.
How does Yoga Alliance Certification work?
Yoga Alliance is an organization whose mission is to promote and support integrity in the yoga world. The ‘Become Centered 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training’ is a Yoga Alliance® accredited program.
Your teacher Caroline Kelley has been teaching since 2000 and is certified to teach 500-hour Yoga Teacher Trainings through Yoga Alliance.
If you would like to read more about Yoga Alliance, here’s a link:
How long has Caroline been leading teacher trainings?
That's a great question!
Caroline first began teaching the anatomy portion of Yoga teacher trainings in 2010 and continues to guest teach for a number of Yoga studios in Northern California and Oregon.
In 2011 Caroline and Maile Sivert came together to form The Mindful Body's 200-hr Yoga Teacher Training in San Francisco. Together they created the syllabus in accordance with Yoga Alliance standards and co-lead the training until Caroline took on full leadership in 2017; while Maile focuses on her position as studio owner.
Caroline continues to be the lead teacher for The Mindful Body’s five month training in addition to leading her Become Centered trainings in beautiful retreat locations.